The main feature of Metaverse Functionality Profiles is to enable Interoperability between Metaverse Instances. The meaning of this feature is described by Figure 3, an adaptation of the MPEG-V Media Context and Control standard  to the current context representing how Metaverse Instance 1 (MI1) can interoperate with Metaverse Instance 2 (MI2) by converting Data represented in its native Data Formats into the CMS Data Formats. Of course, if MI1 represents its Data in the CMS Data Formats, interface 4 is no longer required.
Figure 3 – Interoperability between two Metaverse Instances
The full workflow of Figure 3 can be described as follows:
- Metaverse Instance 1 internally represents Data based on proprietary Data Formats 1 using Sensing/Actuation Data and Commands in the CMS Format obtained by converting Sensing/Actuation Data and Commands based on Data Formats A from Universe Environment A. Note that there can be a mismatch between:
- The Sensing Data and Commands from Universe Environment A and Metaverse Instance 1 because the Profile it implements may not be able to handle all Sensing and Command Items received from the Sensors of Universe Environment A.
- The Actuators of Universe Environment A and the Actuation Data and Commands generated by Metaverse Instance 1 because of their inability to handle the Items received.
- Metaverse Environment 2 of Metaverse Instance 2 internally represents Data based on proprietary Data Formats 2. However, by converting its Data from Data Format 2 to the CMS Data Format, Universe Environment A can send Sensing Data to, and receive and user Actuation Data from Metaverse Instance B.
- Metaverse Instance 1 can serve Universe Instance B, within the constraints set by sub-points 1.1. and 1.2., using the process of point 1. above.
The Profiles referenced above are Technology Profiles. This document, however, addresses the Functionality Profiles. An implementation of a Functionality Profile MI1 interoperates with an MI2 at the following conditions:
- MI1 and MI2 are based on the same MFP, and
- Utilise the same technologies to implement the same MFP Functionalities, or
- Rely on a Service able to convert Data:
- From MI1 to CMS to MI2.
- From MI2 to CMS to MI1.
Mixed solutions of 2. and 3. are also possible.