MPAI, Moving Picture, Audio, and Data Coding by Artificial Intelligence – the international, unaffiliated, non-profit organisation developing standards for AI-based data coding – addresses the needs for Metaverse standards by developing technical documents – Technical Reports and Specifications.
So far, MPAI has reached two milestones in its roadmap to metaverse interoperability by developing two Technical Reports:
Technical Report: MPAI Metaverse Model (MPAI-MMM) – Functionalities  has introduced the following elements:
- A set of definitions.
- A set of assumptions, the most important of which are that metaverse:
- Is a broad notion that may be used by different industries for different purposes.
- Needs technologies, some of which do not even exist with satisfactory performance.
- The notion of profile may help improve interoperability.
- A collection of high-level use cases.
- A collection of exemplary service providers.
- An organised set of ~150 Functionalities.
- A review of the main metaverse-enabling technologies.
- An analysis of the governance needs.
- The roadmap to metaverse standardisation.
Therefore, the Technical Report lays down the foundations of the MPAI metaverse standardisation effort: concentrate first on the identification and characterisation of the Functionalities that users expect the metaverse to provide.
Technical Report: MPAI Metaverse Model (MPAI-MMM) – Functionality Profiles  has introduced the following elements:
- A revised and extended list of definitions.
- A functional operation model of the metaverse based on the notion of Processes performing or requesting other Processes to perform Actions on Items.
- A specification of a first set of Actions, Items, and Data Types to enable:
- The fine description of Use Cases using Actions, Items, and Data Types.
- The definition of Functionality Profiles, i.e., subsets of Actions, Items, and Data Types that satisfy a selected subset of identified Functionalities.
- A collection of representative use cases tested against the functional operation model.
- Four initial Functionality Profiles.
The third milestone of the MPAI roadmap is intends now to develop Technical Specification: MPAI Metaverse Model (MPAI-MMM) – Architecture. To reach that milestone, MPAI has developed this document Use Cases and Functional Requirements: MPAI Metaverse Model – Architecture, one of the attachments to the MPAI-MMM Architecture Call for Technologies . It contains the following Chapters:
- Chapter 2 – Use Cases referencing Chapter 4 Use Cases of  and Chapter 8 of .
- Chapter 3 – Functionalities of the MPAI-MMM Architecture.
- Chapter 4 – Functional Requirements of the MPAI-MMM Architecture elements.
- Chapter 5 – Summary of the items addressed by the Call for Technologies .
In this document, word beginning with a capital letter have the meaning defined in Annex 1 – Terms and Definitions and words beginning with a small letter have the prevalent meaning of the context.
For clarifications about this document and the MPAI-MMM Architecture Call for Technologies, please contact the MPAI Secretariat.