This Chapter collects an initial set of Functionalities that some Metaverse Instances are likely to support. The following disclaimer is reiterated:
The Functionalities identified in this Chapter are NOT expected to be provided by ALL Metaverse Instances. The actual grouping of Functionalities and their enabling technologies (Tools) into Profiles will be part of subsequent steps of the process outlined in Chapter 1 – Introduction.
Figure 5 – Universe and Metaverse Users, Objects, and Functionalities
The following nine points describe the Functionality areas described in the following Sections:
- The big oval on the left-hand side represents a Metaverse Instance managed by a Metaverse Manager.
- The big oval on the right-hand side represents the Universe.
- The Metaverse Instance provides Functionalities, some of which are depicted in the big oval on the left-hand side, e.g., Economy Support interacts with its equivalent in the Universe.
- The two smaller ovals on the left-hand side represent two Metaverse Environments.
- The one on the top corresponds with the Universe Environment on the top of the right-hand side. It contains a Scene populated by:
- Two Digital Humans, one being a Digitised Human twinning a human in the Universe Environment on the top and the other being a Virtual Human generated by the Metaverse Environment.
- Two Objects, one twinning an object in the Universe Environment on the top and the other a Virtual Object generated by the Metaverse Environment.
- Content Representation. A Metaverse Instance needs technologies to represent both Digitised and Virtual Content. The current focus is on human-generated and perceptible content.
- Perception of the Universe by the Metaverse. A Metaverse Instance uses Content Representation technologies to perceive and represent objects present in the Universe.
- Perception of the Metaverse by the Universe. A Universe Environment, including humans and machines, uses Content Representation technologies to perceive Scenes and Objects located in a Metaverse Environment.
- User. A User – whether a Digitised Human or a Virtual Human – needs several Functionalities to be admitted and operate in a Metaverse Instance.
- Interaction. A human interacting with a Metaverse Instance or any of its components requires the support of Interaction Functionalities, some of which are identified in Section 7.7.
- Search. As in the web today, Functionalities are needed to enable a human to search a Metaverse Environment, a Metaverse Instance, all Metaverse Instances, and potentially to search the Universe as well.
- Economy support. The Metaverse provides Functionalities to Users wishing to conduct economic activities, such as Agreements, Transactions, etc.
Each of the nine areas is further subdivided into subareas. Each subarea contains Functionalities which are described and then followed by examples, comments, and clarifications (labelled as Comments).